Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Uhh....2010?


So I have a question…where in the heck has 2010 gone? I swear that the last thing I can remember, it was August, we were in the process of selling our house, and getting ready to start training for a marathon…Landon was still in diapers full-time, the weather was hot, and I was still looking forward to the Dallas Cowboys’ season to begin!

Then I blinked….

We are only one week from Thanksgiving, we sold the house and are now settled in the new place…the marathon training has been very difficult, but successful to the point that we logged a 22-mile run this past weekend, and Landon has now officially transitioned out of diapers completely (he has now started going to bed in his “big-boy undies”)….and oh yeah, the Cowboys seriously suck (with the silver lining that we finally fired the coach that I’ve been complaining about for 3 years)…

Yeah, I think it’s pretty safe to say that the last few months have been a whirlwind, and if I had a magic 8-ball and I asked it if the rest of the year would be less crazy, I think it would come back at me with “outlook not good”. In the coming weeks we have Michaela’s Dad Skip coming into town for Thanksgiving (which we’re planning to do at our house this year)…I must say, having never cooked a turkey, I’m a little nervous! Hopefully between Michaela and I and my Dad and Skip we can figure it out and not royally screw anything up - or start a fire!We also have our big marathon trip the first week of December, which includes a drive to LA, then a drive to Vegas for the 26-mile jaunt through Sin City, followed by another drive back to LA where we’ll basically run another 26 miles around Disneyland as we chase Landon on his first trip to the Magic Kingdom, and then the drive home….so the thought of getting any rest on our “vacation week” seems comical at this point, but you never know!

And then we’re at Christmas…I’m especially looking forward to Christmas this year (it’s always my favorite holiday anyways) because Landon’s actually at an age where I think he “gets it”…This year we’re starting the new tradition of using the Elf on the Shelf…it should be pretty fun for all of us to get into (having never done it when Michaela and I were kids). Landon’s also speaking well enough that we can teach him Christmas carols, so that’ll be all kinds of fun! And then there’s the whole mystique that surrounds a child at Christmas, and I can’t wait to have that back in the house again! Can you tell that I’m excited?

As for recent news, we’ve had quite a bit on our plate these past few weekends, but it’s been all kinds of fun. Last Wednesday we had Michaela’s parents Steve and Rachael come into town for a visit. They got in plenty of quality time with the kid and were a huge help for us as they allowed us to get quite a bit done. They both hopped right in and helped out with whatever we needed, which was greatly appreciated.








We were able to spend some time with them on Friday enjoying the beautiful not-your-typical "fall weather" and enjoy some wine tasting in El Dorado County. Following the recommendation of good friends, we ended up at TooGood Estates. We were able to tour the wine caves, which Landon loved. He said they were "bat caves" as he's been really into Batman lately.



Unfortunately the trip did have a little “Clark Griswold” type of moment when they were heading back home. Apparently she scheduled their return flight for December 14th instead of November 14th, so they ended up having no return flight available to them….other than a ridiculously long drive for Michaela, there was no harm done and it was nice to get in an extra evening with them.

We also celebrated a big birthday this week as my Mom turned 50 on Tuesday! She had her big party on Saturday evening and it was quite the event. Her friends and family are always a fun bunch and it was a really enjoyable evening. Landon has been asking us every day if he can go over to Grandma’s house to have some of her Buzz Lightyear cake…I assured him that there was no such cake, but he thinks I’m holding out on him.

I think that about covers it for now…I hope your lives are as busy and rewarding as ours has been lately…take care, be safe, and enjoy the upcoming holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment