It’s an amazing thing to wake up in the morning, crawl out onto the deck (quietly of course, so as not to wake the kids), and watch the sun rise up across the water while sipping on some coffee. To think that I haven’t had an alarm wake me up in almost a year now…I always hated that thing.
I’m pleased to say that Second Wind made it through last night’s storm without any problems whatsoever. The decks have been cleaned, and she still looks as beautiful as she did the first time we set eyes on her some years back.
I’m not sure what today will bring, but I’m thinking that Michaela and one of the kids are heading into the village to pick up some breakfast. They have really gotten the hang at the whole “bartering with the locals thing”, which is pretty good for us. I was getting tired of living off of our provisions, and it’ll be nice to have more of those Dorado fish tacos soon. While they’re gone, I’m going to take the other kid and the pup on a quick hike to go see the Sea Lions. They hang out on the dock all day and it just cracks us up!
I’ve gotta say that it’s nice to be in port for a while, as I think our sea legs have completely disappeared. Not to mention the fact that it’s quite a bit easier to chop vegetables and cook when the boat isn’t at a 30 degree list. It’s quite an experience to chop carrots while standing on your wall and watching the vegetables run the wrong direction once the blade slices through! And don’t get me started on the liquids, which seem to defy gravity (in reality it’s your eyes that are playing tricks on you).
We’re planning to spend another week or so here in the Galagapos islands before making our next jump to the Marquesas. We are debating about extending our journey out for a few more months before heading back home to San Diego. The kids couldn’t start school until the end of summer anyways, so why not? While they’re excited to get home and see their friends, they’ve had such an amazing year away that I’m sure they’ll miss it just as much as we will. With our “onboard education” they’re well ahead of their grade level, and the sights, sounds, foods, languages, and friendships that they’ve made during our adventures will last them the rest of their lives.
I think back to the moment that Michaela and I started to plan this part of our lives, and I’m so thankful that we were both on the same page. At that point Landon was only a few years old and we didn’t even know if we were going to have another one. We did have a general idea of where we wanted to be at this point of our lives though, and we spent all of our resources over the next 8 years to make our dream a reality.
Uh oh...I think I hear the rest of the crew starting to stir, so I better head belowdecks and get the breakfast cookin’!
As always….Live the life you love, love the life you live, and avoid the rat race if you can!
-Dustin
Ok…so that blog was fun to write. As you can tell, I’m practicing now so I’ll be really good in 8 years when I have to write that for real. While it’s just a dream right now, Michaela and I have been infatuated with sailing for quite some time, and both of us would love to have an opportunity to take an extended leave of absence from the rat race to sail the world with our kids and our dog!For those of you thinking “Yeah sure Dustin…what have you been smoking? Nobody does that!”….I beg to differ. We have recently
As this post is lon
Take care, and happy sailing!
You had me going there for a couple sentences! That actually sounds like a really cool goal. I don't think there is enough dramamine for me to enjoy something like that (who wants to do it in a dramamine fog anyhow?)but I could see doing something similar with a more land based mode of travel.
ReplyDelete