Already half-way through July and just so much to cover, so
where to begin?
For us, the days sort of blur together and watching Landon
grow and develop is as commonplace as going to work or making dinner. But I
realize that we’re the spoiled ones that get to witness this on a daily basis
and one of the reasons that we started blogging in the first place was to share
these experiences and observations with our extended family and friends. I
realize that I’ve been somewhat slacking, or dare I say “completely negligent”
in this these past few months as we’ve been chronicling our running adventures
in much more detail than the milestones, achievements, and perils that come
with parenting a crazy-fun four year old.
So catching up on all things Landon, he is now a 49 lb
4-year old, and trust me, he’s really slimmed down…the kid is just huge. One thing I've really taken note of these past few weeks is the tapeworm in his belly. I think his most commonly-used phrase has been "I'm still hungry Daddy, can I have something else to eat?". Sure nine times out of ten he's looking for candy, fruit snacks, or ice cream, but he always settles for apples, crackers, or cheerios. Since
he’s been back with us full-time (after his very fun Yuma trip), the long days
of summer have lent to much later bedtimes for our little guy. We’ve introduced
him to the wonderful world of household chores and the idea of earning an
allowance. The kid is always asking for candy or toys or fun stuff and we
thought that earning money, saving it, and then physically handing it over to a
cashier may help him understand the value of money (as well as being a good
listener and doing what is asked of you). So far the results have been mixed
but I have seen some progress recently. Don’t get me wrong, we’re not
infringing on child labor laws or anything like that, it’s mostly stuff like
helping to feed the dogs, clearing dishes after dinner, brushing his teeth
without being asked, and generally displaying good behavior. For me personally,
I’m just counting down the days until the littler bugger is big enough to push
the lawn mower!
Outside of the home we had a huge milestone for the entire
family last weekend as Landon spent the night at a friend’s house. Originally
we were just looking for someone to watch him for a few hours but after the
invitation was put out there Michaela and I thought “What the hell? Let’s give
it a shot!” fully aware that we’d most likely be getting a call at 2am to come
pick up a crying child. So we dropped him off at Jack Sheehy’s house, gave him
a hug, threw a look at Jack’s Mom that said “you poor, poor woman, we are
really sorry already” and then got out of there before she could change her
mind! Turns out she had an ace up her sleeve...she took the boys to a car show
and kept them up very late (to the point of exhaustion) so there were no middle-of-the-night
adventures. And for that, I salute her (and her husband of course).
We are also starting to look at the next sport we’re going
to enroll Landon in. He semi-enjoyed soccer this past year (I don’t really
blame him, I’ve never been a huge fan), so we’re thinking about looking at
T-ball the next time that comes up. Another option we’ve looked at is karate. I
actually took Landon to an introductory class which was just a one-on-one with
him and the “Master Sensei” of the Dojo (I feel ridiculous even typing that).
Anyhow, Landon really enjoyed it and we are strongly considering enrolling him
but we have a couple of issues we have to figure out before doing so…the big
one being the fact that there is a high probability that we’ll be moving in the
next few months and signing up for a 6 or 12 month karate class in our current
location may not be a smart move.
Speaking of the move, we have not nailed down a place yet
and are just beginning our search but we’ll most likely be moving out to the
country. Specifically, we are looking in the Auburn, CA and Cool, CA areas and
you can bet your boots we’ll have a post shortly after making that decision.
In other news, Michaela is still recovering nicely from
Western States and has already started to get back into the swing of running. I
have been training for the Tahoe Rim Trail 50K run on July 21st in
Lake Tahoe. While it’s “only” a 50K, word on the street is that it is one of
the tougher ones out there and is truly more like 34 miles (rather than the
traditional 31 miles), filled with climbing and more climbing, as well as
having to deal with the altitude (which I’ve never run in before). All things
considered, it should make for a fun way to spend the day before my 31st
birthday!
We should have a great deal more to report over the next few
weeks with the housing situation and some cool changes that are coming down the
pipe for me at my work, so until then…stay cool!
Are you kidding on the chores? Laura had the kids dusting, cleaning walls(from their dirty handprints)and washing dishes at 4/5. Good luck on race this Sat. Good job Landon on your sleepover, I'll bet they had a great time!
ReplyDelete