Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2012

It's almost here! Yup, the 2012 doomsday prediction that cataclysmic and apocalyptic events will occur on December 21, 2012 due to the full cycle of the Mayan Long-Count Calendar (whatever that means) will be here in less than a year....any bucket list items that you've been putting off? You better get to them!



In all honesty though, I think most of us are a little too busy living life to its fullest to be worried about what may come in the future. Don't get me wrong, it's always good to be prepared for things (although a boy scout I was NOT), and I believe in saving for a rainy day and all that stuff...but if the world really is going to end in a year, I'm not too sure there is much I'm going to be able to do about it except to make as many memories with my wife and child as I can...so with that in mind....

Dustin's predictions for 2012 (note that most of these are not resolutions, just predictions):


1. We will move into a new house somewhere in Northern California, Southern California, or somewhere else...do you like how specific I am with that one? Personally I think we'll still be here in Northern California, as we both enjoy our jobs, have lots of friends and family to see, and love the close proximity to some of the best trail running in the US. However, if all of the 2012 stars align and an opportunity opens up for us elsewhere, who am I to say "no" without knowing the details. Long-term though, we still plan to get to San Diego...it's just not so pressing any longer. I would like to at least explore the opportunity of buying a house again...I'm not sure this year will be the right time for us, but we'll see what happens.


2. I will complete my first 50-mile race (finally) at American River 50 and then go out and run my second at the Tahoe Rim Trail Run on my 31st birthday (hopefully). I had planned to do this last year but a bum IT band kept me on the sideline...not this year though, and I'm bound and determined to do them right!


3. Michaela will complete her first ever 100-mile race, running the "Grandaddy" of all ultra runs, the Western States 100. Along the way, she'll pick up the coolest accessory she'll ever get to wear:


Seriously though, this particular part of 2012 will actually encompass about 6 months as the training has already started and the race isn't until June. This is probably going to be THE event in which the first half of our year will be centered around. I will do my best to get out there and run with her as much as I can, whenever our schedules permit it, and the rest of the time, I will be the best supporter that I can be...on the flip side, she has assured me that she will at least save some energy for Landon and myself when she gets home...it is going to be an exciting and educational six months to be sure....just for some more eye candy, here's the course profile...pretty cool, huh?


4. Landon will hit some big-time milestones this year including: learning how to swim without floaties, playing on his first organized sports team (most likely soccer...I know, I know), moving up to the Pre-K class at school (we cannot believe how smart he is and how well he talks...I'm pretty sure I sound like one of those "bragging" parents...oh wait, that's EXACTLY what I am!), and will be able to dress himself without any parental assistance (he technically can do this now, he just always chooses not to...we WILL break him of this).


5. Guinness and Jack will lose 10 lbs each (ok, now I know I've gone from the realistic to the world of fantasy land)!


6. Something significant will happen to both of our jobs this year, and I mean this in the best way possible. Both of us are facing some very favorable opportunities and I have a great feeling that this year will bring the fruition of all of our labor...good times await!


That's everything that I can realistically pinpoint for this year. Other than that, I hope that we are all happy, safe, and healthy all year long (and that includes you as well).


And then there's always this way to look at New Years (which I recently heard and totally agree with): Resolutions don't need to be made just on New Year's, they should be made every day. January 1st is just another day to continue kicking ass and loving your life...

No comments:

Post a Comment