Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Impossible or Inevitable?

Dear Landon - I often sit and wonder what kind of man you will grow to become one day. As your parents we do our best to associate you to a wide variety of experiences. Different foods, different cultures and different lifestyles. We hope that by the time you're ready to set off on your own these experiences will not only open more doors for you, but they will open your eyes to what this world has to offer and how much of it is within the reach of your small little hands. Growing up with out bias to certain situations, people or abilities, will it change your outlook on life? I can only hope so! Three days ago, your Mommy toed the line and completed the American River 50 Mile Endurance Run. The first, of what I can only imagine, will be many. You've seen both of your parents cross several finish lines over the last 2 years, but this was a first of this caliber. The first Ultra Marathon. 50 miles. Three days later, I'm still living on a euphoria of emotion, amazed and extremely proud of what was accomplished. I have no doubt that this will not be the last post-run celebration you will attend. And I wonder...if this is one of those experiences you take with you, knowing that your parents and your parent's friends are not crazy (even though there will be those who disagree!) and like with most things in life you only need to believe in yourself and abilities...I wonder what you will accomplish. Somewhere between mile 30 and 50 (let's face it, they all blur together at some point) I remember seeing a sign that read, "When others say impossible, you say inevitable." I've thought about this sign several times over the last three days, and I hope it's meaning is something that will have an impression on your life as much as it has mine.
...it all began at 6am, while you were still snug in bed. Mommy, along with 750 other runners were freezing our booties off, waiting for the clock to count down and the gun to off. We started the run on the bike path of the American River. The first 27 miles that stretch on the pavement from Sacramento to Folsom were the longest miles by far. But as you will learn in life, the company you keep can make the ride more enjoyable. This first section I ran with my friend Melisa (AKA Trail Pigeon). Melisa ran this same run last year and I knew her experience would be invaluable. The miles ticked on by as we gave random nicknames to other runners and joked with friends we saw along the way. We had a plan to get into one of the main aid stations in 4.5 hours. This had us at a conservative pace knowing after the first marathon, we still had 24 miles to cover. While the bike path is not as enjoyable as the trail, I still watched a beautiful sunset over the American River and saw several rabbits, turkeys and even a doe laying in the morning sun. I had a fuel plan to take Gu every hour and a salt tab whenever it felt needed. I learned from Melisa, that if I'm having the conversation in my head about "should I? or shouldn't I?" on salt tabs, that the better option is to just take it. Great advice! My legs were starting to feel heavy. We arrived at Beal's Point just after 10:30am, 27 miles later, just as planned. Daddy was waiting up front and quickly ushered us off to where everyone was waiting, along with Anthony, who along with Kirk coaches Fleet Feet's Ultra Trail Running program. The stop in Beal's was an organized blur! One thing I hope you learn, is that very rarely are we able to accomplish goals with out the help of many. Yes, it is possible...but it's so much easier with the help and encouragement of friends and family! It meant so much to arrive at this point seeing you, Daddy, Aunt Lisa & Aunt Karen as well as our new running family. Do you remember what you said to me? You said, "Did you have a good run Mommy? Let's go to Target now." My silly boy, if only you could understand how much further my journey was to be that day. After quickly changing from street shoes to trail shoes, Daddy topping off my hydration pack and Kirk changing out my race tag with duct tape, I was off once again with a good luck kiss from you and Daddy!


The first couple of miles I had to shake a feeling of a rock in my shoe. I'm not even sure if there was one, but in my head, it was all I could think about. I remember very little about this portion of the run, until stopping at the Granite Bay aid station and removing my shoe to shake it out. Melisa had said, "90% of Ultra Running is 100% mental." One day I'm sure you'll understand this!!

After leaving Granite Bay (approximately the 30 mile mark) I spent the next 11 miles feeling likeI was on top of the world. The section of trail between Twin Rocks and Rattle Snake Bar contain some of the most technical "meat grinder" miles of the course. It's difficult to keep a consistent pace through the climbs and switch backs, but for reasons unknown I felt like I had just started a brand new run. Fresh shoes, fresh socks and fresh legs. It was during this section of the course that I lost Melisa and her pacer and ended up running the next portion of the course alone, lost in my own thoughts. I also passed more then 45 runners during this section, which only elevated my heightened state of super heroism. Instead of side stepping the mud like most of the runners out there, my mind drifted to the first run Daddy and I had on this same section of the course with new friends Kirk and Jenny. I had just bought my new pair of trail shoes and was afraid to get them muddy and dirty. Kirk laughed at me saying, "They're trail shoes! Just embrace the mud!" And so I did, splashing all the way through. I felt strong and fast. What a fantastic feeling. A true runner's high! I continued with my fuel plan, only now I was taking Gu every 40-45 minutes and salt just about every hour and continued to top off at the aid stations with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Delish!

I arrived into Rattle Snake Bar where I was meeting my pacer, Uncle Adam. All the Fleet Feet crew was there, and were beyond helpful! After a quick trip to the head, a debrief with Anthony and Adam, another hug and kiss from Daddy and we were off. Uncle Adam even had a funny sign on the back of his shirt for me to stare at the whole way!! All the runners we passed thought it was hysterical!At some point between picking up my pacer at mile 41 and mile 45 I hit a low point. I was feeling quesy and was having a hard time keeping up with my fuel plan. Chewing was easy, but swallowing the sandwiches and Gu was another story. I think at this point I was also feeling light headed, but did not tell Adam this. We had a difficult time finding a good pace, but eventually settled in. These last 9 miles, while they weren't the best of the course, still went by unbelievabley fast. Or maybe I was just in a daze and didn't notice them. I remember coming into the final aid station quickly realized how close I was to the end. I drank a couple of 7-ups, took a tums, another dixie of Coke along with two orange slices and hit the road again. At this point we had roughly 3 miles to the finish. Feeling more like myself again (thank god for liquid calories!) I joked with Adam about taking a picture at the "3 more to go" sign. It was also at this point that I snapped out of my funk realizing that I was going to finish this race, and I be damned if I didn't finish it strong. I choked down another Gu and we set off. The Dam Hill is just shy of 3 miles, all up hill to the finish line. A climb in elevation of almost a 1000 feet, at a 21-27% grade. I had it in my head we were running this, much to Adam's dismay. Like a trooper, he wasn't going to let someone with 47 miles under her belt show him up, so he trucked along with me. Relieving myself from the weight of my hydration pack was just what I needed.The final climb up the hill and onto Pacific Avenue was amazing. I could hear the announcer and knew it was almost over. The finishers chute has always (and will always) be my favorite part of any race. I love the feeling of "going for broke" and giving it every ounce of energy I have left. According to my Garmin, after 49.7 miles, I was still able to pull a sub 6 pace the last 20 yards to the finish. This might be why I looked like I was going to pass out and was quickly ushered over to sit down for an evaluation. Eventually, I convinced them I wasn't dying, just tired.



I joined Daddy, along with everyone else who came to cheer me on. I also found you, happily enjoying your kettle korn. I was so happy to see you and Daddy! What a sight for sore, tired, exhausted eyes. And like you always do, the first words out of your mouth were, "Did you have a good run Mommy?" Oh my sweet boy. I did, I most certainly did. And the thought of one day sharing that first mile with you and seeing what amazing things you might accomplish brings a smile to my face over and over again.


Thank you, both you and Daddy, for always being my biggest cheerleaders. I hope you learn from these experiences we introduce you to and realize that you really can do anything you set your mind to. And we'll be there to encourage, support and help every way we can. I can't wait to see what you become! Love, Mommy

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on a awesome race, and a fantastic race report. It was like I was running it all over again but this time in your shoes. See you on the trails and if you ever need a pacer or crew I would love to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet...and awesome. But of course you already knew that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you write like this... it lets everyone see how wonderful you are. Great job Mickey! I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete