Monday, January 24, 2011

Mommy, May I?

Gooses! Geeses!I want my geese to lay gold eggs for Easter. At least a hundred a day. And by the way…I want a feast. I want a bean feast! With Cream buns and doughnuts and fruitcake with no nuts. So good you could go nuts…I don’t care how! I want it now!

Just so we’re clear, we have every intention of raising a good well mannered child. Who doesn’t? It’s not like you plan on raising a spoiled brat like Veruca from Willy Wonka. So where and when does it happen? At what point do you cross the line from “wanting to provide for your child” to Oompa Loompas dancing around your living room singing of bad eggs? I have to say, while we’ve been on the fence for sometime about whether or not to have a 2nd child (for those keeping track, remember the score is: Only Child - 5 vs LRB gets a sibling - 2), this past weekend has made me stop and wonder, “Which side do I award this point to?”

Sunday morning started off on such a fun note. We were able to get out and go for breakfast together as a family, which we love to do and do not accomplish often enough. Partly because we can still be a little gun shy about taking Landon to restaurants. All past occurrences aside, we headed out and had a wonderful time. Landon was well behaved and only jumped up and down on the seat a couple of times. He ate. We ate. Good times around the table. How did we go from happy-go-lucky to spiraling down the bad egg slope so quickly you ask? I have no idea. But our patience as parents started to wear thin on the way to the market after hearing “I want” for the 100th time that morning. In truth, we hear it all the time, but for some reason this was the day we let it get under our skin. "I want a special treat at the market." “I want a fruit snack.” “I want to watch Scooby.” “No, not Scooby! I want to watch Ariel.” “I want my milk.” “No, not that cup! I want my Buzz cup!” “I want, I want, I want!” Are you still with me? Next, imagine that he repeats himself like a broken record. Asking and repeating the same phrase over and over as if his parents are senior citizens with hearing problems. Now multiply that by 100 and you might have some idea where we ended up. We finally got to the point of yelling back at him (we’re not perfect parents), “Landon! Do not say ‘I want’ anymore!” Then I proceeded to run through the list of things we do not say, just to make my point crystal clear. (Again, we’re not perfect) “We don’t say ‘Oh shit’, we don’t say, ‘Stupid Dogs’, We do not say ‘fuck’ (or any combination of the word!) and we do not say ‘I want’! If you need something you say, 'Mommy/Daddy may I please…' or 'Mommy/Daddy I would like'…Do you understand?” ~ Blank Stare ~ Followed by, “Mommy, I want my snack mix please.” Reaching. My. Boiling. Point. But at least he said please, right? Deep breaths.

So now you might have some idea where my question is coming from. Who gets the point? Are we raising a spoiled brat? We don't drop everything for every want and desire (at least not every time). Or do we? I honestly can't remember the last time we walked into Target with out him walking out with something. Shit. This is totally our fault, isn't it? I thought we were just being good loving parents wanting to reward our child for (or bribe to get) good behavior. Can we all just agree that we've seen the error of our ways and desperately want to back track? We're not the only ones who do this - are we? Several hours of this "I want" behavior on Sunday and we both at one time or another thought, “oh yeah. He’s NEVER getting a sibling!” But several hours (and a couple glasses of wine and a few epiphanies) later it left me wondering that maybe he does need a sibling to realize that the world does not revolve around him. That’ll teach him patience, right? Or at least we can learn from our mistakes from the first, right? I guess we’ll call it a draw for now…

Other then hearing “I want” for more than half the day, Sunday was actually a great day. We had gorgeous weather both Saturday and Sunday and were able to get out and enjoy the outdoors both days. We took Landon to the park and soaked up some Vitamin D – shorts and flip flops all around. I feel Spring and Summer comin’ on and am welcoming them both with open arms. In fact - I want them NOW! (I have no idea where my child gets this stuff.)


And because I went off on a random rant I'll just finish us off with a few new things in Landon's world:


Everyone is named Buzz. His new Kitty that Santa bought him. Our "Elf on the Shelf". His puppy Dog. Not to mention the 4 actual Buzz Lightyear toys he has. Bobo The Monkey was initially "Buzz" but Daddy decided to put an end to it. When Landon asks us to help him find Buzz, we're never really are sure who the hell we're looking for.


"One bite, that's it." is Landon's key phrase when we're eating dessert. After he's finished his own, he likes to cuddle up next to Mommy, bat his eyelashes and sweetly say, "One bite. Just one bite, that's it Mommy." Mommy is a pushover.


This morning to Mommy: "He won't stop staring at me!" when Guinness was doing what he does best - beg for food.

Mahi Mahi dipped in yogurt is a delicacy.
The kid will scarf broccoli, brussel sprouts, and asparagus...but ask him to try peanut butter and he clams up...Daddy is seriously confused.

Landon has his first crush. A little girl named Tayley. We hear about her All. The. Time.

His favorite colors are red and orange, he loves cats (seriously?), grapes, yogurt. He likes to sleep with every single stuffed animal he owns on the bed and knows when someone is missing. He also likes fresh flowers. He actually picked some out for me at Trader Joe's the other day. Pink ones.

I <3>

PS - We got a seriously awesome camera back in November that takes seriously awesome pictures. However, I've decided I need to actually learn how to use the seriously awesome camera in manual (rather then automatic) so sometimes the pictures come out seriously blurry. For this I am sorry and promise to have not-so-blurry pictures soon.

5 comments:

  1. I think all kids are a little of each of the "Charlie" characters. Some days they're a little more Veruca than Charlie :-) I seriously doubt that it's something you've created, it isn't like toddlers are known for perfect manners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are awesome parents. It's all a part of the learning curve, right? You have a very smart, charming little guy on your hands -- he's just always going to challenge you ;) I'm happy to hear your war stories so I know what lies ahead for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, this is so my house, seriously! i will say though that having a younger sibling seems to help a bit (at least in our house)...we talk about how many people are in our family and how if we always focus on clayton, what happens to what dylan wants, etc? he seems to get it...although then he'll sometimes use it to gang up on us...ie "clayton and dylan want..." lol! smart cookies these kiddos are! very funny post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post cracked me up! Don't worry...we are so there with Grayson to, as I'm sure every parent of a 2 year old is! And we can't seem to leave Target without buying Grayson something either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post! Self reflection is what makes good parents! It is for these same reasons I can't wait to have another child....but we do have to wait...which is a good thing, because Axel IS a handful too, at times.
    How is the knee Dustin? I finally have the exercises. do you still need them?

    ReplyDelete