Saturday, October 9, 2010

Excuse Me While I Catch My Breath

It’s been a whirlwind! I think this might be the longest stretch we’ve gone between blogging updates, but things have been all sorts of crazy lately. So much so that I don’t even know where to begin. I mean, there is so much new stuff to cover I don’t know what to start with…so we’re just going to jump right in and see where we end up.

The biggest and most recent (and let’s face it, the #1 reason we haven’t had time to blog lately!) is that we have moved. After almost 5 years to the day, we sold our house. After our trip to Arizona, 99% of our time was spent desperately searching for a new house and getting everything packed in the old house. After one frustrating fall out we landed a great house in a fantastic neighborhood (we’ll cover more on this later). As it worked out, we had about a week of being in between two houses so we were able to take boxes over little by little throughout the work week before the “big stuff” was moved. This also allowed Landon more time to acclimate to the new digs. We explained to him that we were going to be moving into a new house and that we’d all be going, Mommy, Daddy, Jack, Guinness and Landon. We explained that we would take all of our old stuff to the new house and that would be our new home. Landon always replied with, “New toys too?” Nope, we’re taking our old toys. A boy can ask, right?
The move itself was a huge pain the ass. I mean, moving really blows. I’m not sure who out there has moved recently, but it sucks. Nothing about it is enjoyable and fuses are short. We managed to make it through with only one injury…Dustin’s back. But he’s hanging in there and recovering slowly.

So anyway, back to the new house. The neighborhood is fantastic. We’re on a very quiet street (polar opposite of the old house) that is crawling with kids. Seriously, kids and dogs are everywhere. As it turns out, the neighbors to our right have 2 boys, 4 years old and 2.5. Then two houses over to the left, there is another little boy who is 3. So within 4 houses, there are 4 little boys all under 4. How perfect is that?! The dogs are adjusting too and we’re trying to figure out a new route for our nightly walks. The neighborhood is small so it’s hard to get in 2.5 miles unless you want to walk in the same circle over and over. But that’s only a minor problem. At least we can play in the front yard and not worry that a car is going to come careening down the street!
We’ve been in the new house for 1 week now and we’re all adjusting well – even the dogs. While we’re very excited about this new “freedom” and the ability to relocate when we want, moving out of the old house was very bittersweet. It was odd walking through the empty house that we had turned into a home. We spent 5 years there. That’s the longest either of us have lived in one place other than where we grew up. So many memories…we literally laid the back patio brick for brick. It was the house we came home to after saying “I do” (which was Thursday as we celebrated our 4th anniversary!) and after bringing home our first child. It’s not that we are sad to be moving. We’re thrilled actually! We have so much freedom for new possibilities now! But it is still odd to be saying goodbye to the house and its memories. I’m sure you’ve all experienced something of this at some point too…so I’ll move on.

As I mentioned, we celebrated our anniversary on Thursday and are continuing to celebrate through the weekend. Nicole came over to watch Landon and allowed us the opportunity to go and celebrate with a date night. We ended up eating out at a very trendy/yuppy wine bar in Roseville, Crush 29. While I'm not sure it lives up to all the hype, the food and especially the wine (my $16 GLASS of wine) was fantastic! As was sitting and enjoying each others company with out the presence of sippy cups, coloring books, stickers & a I-Don't-Like-To-Sit-Still two year old.

Speaking of said two-year-old, on a completely random note, that I had wanted to share previously is one of Landon’s new phrases. Luckily he won’t be able to say it as much now as he did in the old house because the neighborhood is much quieter. However, on one of our last walks in the old neighborhood a car went flying by us as we were out with the dogs. Landon yelled back at him, “Slow down jackass!” Apparently I need to watch my mouth more. He’s catching on…but it’s hard not to laugh at that.

One other new thing that we’ve experienced lately is Landon’s interest in using the potty. Landon’s very good friend at school started using the big boy potty last week and now Landon is all about it. Yea! We spoke with his teachers and they all say he’s ready. So next week, we’re going cold turkey! No diapers and 25 sets of extra clothes and undies. I love our day care. They’re basically going to potty train our child for us – all we have to do is laundry and try not to screw up their progress on the weekend. Score for us! Of course, the laundry part sucks. Landon’s really excited to pick out some new big boy undies this weekend – Buzz Light year will be featured on a butt near you very soon! Speaking of Buzz...Landon has chosen to be Buzz for Halloween this year. That’s a shocker. He says Mommy should be Jessie and Daddy should be Woody. Sometimes he says Daddy should be Spider Man too so who knows what we’ll end up with.

Just in case we weren't busy and exhausted enough, today we headed to Bishop’s Pumpkin Farm (you'll notice all the new pictures). We had a lot of fun just the three of us wandering around looking for the perfect pumpkins. They were HUGE again this year! The size of these things still blows me away. I'm not sure Landon appreciates their size as it's all he has really known since we went last year too. But for Dustin and myself, it's fun being in awe of their size.

Anyway, I just finished baking (yes, baking. For those who know me, you know I don't bake. Ever.) some brownies and they smell fabulous. It's a good thing my new found love for baking coincides with our marathon training - otherwise we'd be huge. Logging 18 miles tomorrow. I'm tired and out of breath just thinking about it. But that's par for the course lately. We just go go go. Enjoy the random photos and check back soon. We be bloggin' again.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the move guys! I'm glad you're happy with the new place. Hope you get some time to catch your breath now. Happy Belated Anniversary too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that it's his hair, but he looks like such a "big boy" in these pictures! Good luck to you in your new house and to Landon in his new underpants!

    ReplyDelete