Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Heat is on!

Whenever I hear the song "The Heat is On" my first thought is that very first scene in Beverly Hills Cop where Eddie Murphy is getting flung around in the back of the truck...what a great movie and totally awesome song....but I digress....the heat really is on here in Sacramento as we've been consistently over 100 for the past few weeks....yeah, I can just hear all of our Arizona contingent feeling real sorry for us right now as they suffer through much higher temperatures...but what can I say, it's been 5 years and California has successfully "sissy-fied" me....

Here's a pic of Landon and Nicholas getting ready to go swimming and as they rock their cool alumni hats (Landon's got an AZ hat on and Nick's Daddy is a Virginia Tech Alumnus)...

Since I haven't posted anything in about a week I'll have to start with July 4th...we had a heck of a time over at John and KC's house...we started the day swimming, then had some excellent grub and ended the night with Landon's first experience with fireworks. Landon has made some serious advancement in his swimming this year, and can now float all by himself with floaties on his arms, and even swam by himself yesterday (dog paddle of course)...when we try to help him he goes "no Daddy, I do it!"...so we've got a brave little boy on our hands...on the other hand, we need to make sure that he respects the water and so far he hasn't shown much of that...so we'll need to continue to be very diligent with him around the water until we're all 100% confident in his ability.

As for the fireworks...Landon really loved the sparklers and was quite content to wave those around for hours on end with the other little kids that were there....but when it was time for the big bright (and very loud) fireworks, he wasn't quite sure what to think. He watched them right next to Michaela and I and while he sat there without much ado, we could tell that he was a little unsettled and looked like he was half tempted to run and hide behind us when the big ones were lit.

This week went by in a blur, as we all had Monday off from the holiday, and I had to go to San Francisco for a conference from Thursday-Saturday, so Michaela was tasked with Mommy-duty sans Daddy for those days. It sounds like Landon was on his best behavior (much to both of our relief) and I swear that he got smarter, grew, and improved his vocabulary all in those 3 short days I was gone....I know it's probably not that likely, but as a Father that watches him all day every day, I can definitely notice the little changes.

One fun thing that he learned from my cousin Ashley while I was away was the "muscle man" pose. We say to him "Landon, show us your muscles" and he makes a funny face and clinches up his arms. The pose isn't quite as intimidating when he's holding his brush...and if he looks a bit tired in this picture (those are some serious bags under his eyes!), it's because he was up WAAAY past his bedtime last night...we hung out at my Aunt Karen and Uncle Michael's house until late...

I'm pretty sure July in general is going to continue to fly by, as we have Michaela's run in Napa, CA this weekend, my 29th birthday the following weekend, and then BOOM!, we're in August....wow.

In the meantime, we'll try to have some fun new adventures that we can share with you all. Hope you're staying cool and enjoying the summertime.

1 comment:

  1. As an Arizonan I have to say that I don't think I'm any better at handling the heat than any other person. It's more likely that I'm better at keeping myself near A/C. Anything in the 100's sucks, so go right on ahead and complain!

    ReplyDelete