Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Landon!

St. Patrick's Day Toast
Here’s to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one
A pretty girl and an honest one
A cold beer – and another one!

I thought we should start off our new blog on the right foot! In honor of one of our favorite holidays (we were really hoping Landon was going to born on the 17th). Although today isn't Landon's birthday, it is our good ole' boy Jack's. And we couldn't be happier that he is still around to celebrate. Happy Birthday Jackie Boy! And if you're reading this on the 18th, Happy Birthday to our sweet little boy, Landon!

For those of you that made the switch from our old blog: http://www.theburgessbaby.blogspot.com/ , I wish to first say “welcome”, and “congratulations” for finding your way here. Then again, I posted a link on our old web page, so it’s not like it was rocket science or anything.

As you can tell, I’m sort of fired up and ready to roll today! This is mainly due to the following two facts: #1 – My son turns two years old today; #2 – I’m heading off to San Jose to meet up with my two best friends in the world (excluding my wife and child) for three days of March Madness…actually, let’s throw a third reason in here…since Landon turns two, he is moving up in the world to the two-year old classroom, which means that Mommy and Daddy finally get to see a little reduction in his weekly daycare rates….woo hoo!

Let me quickly take out the ginormous pink elephant in the room by saying that “yes, I am going to March Madness on my son’s birthday and yes, I will not be there when he comes home from school on his first day in his new class”….but I mean, come on…it’s March Madness and he’s only two years old….he doesn’t even know that it is his birthday (even after we tell him 6 times in a row). So yeah, that’s me rationalizing to myself, and I do feel pretty terrible that I won’t be there this year…but Michaela has assured me that it’s ok this time around, and since I haven’t really experienced a “Boy’s Weekend” since my Bachelor party way back in the day, I think it’s finally time.

In case you are wondering, we have very good seats and will be 17 rows up from the court, behind one of the baskets for all of the games in the San Jose pod. So if you’re watching TV, look for us in the stands. My buddy Dave and I are planning to wear our Arizona basketball jerseys so that we can pretend that our 25-year streak of NCAA tourneys didn’t end this year….I know, we’re in denial…but basketball is what our school is really known for, and not making the tournament has made us a little insane.

As for our new blog, please don’t worry about missing out on Landon’s activities…we will post everything under the sun that he does….but we will also try to also include more random things that we find fun and entertaining…who knows, maybe you’ll get to hear from our dogs Guinness and Jack a little more, or maybe I can work in some more poems about beer…..either way, the Baby Blog was meant to be 100% about documenting Landon’s first few years. We are planning to take that blog and to turn it into a book that he can have when he’s older. This blog is going to be a little more free-form, but we’ll have to see how it plays out.

Also, I wanted to post this picture even though it has nothing to do with anything. This was taken after Michaela's big race last weekend when we went to BJ's Brewery. Landon had his first ever Hot Wing (with Ranch Sauce), and I was so proud that I had to snap a picture.



In the meantime, I have to pack, drink a few pints of Guinness for the holiday, and spend as much time with the wife and birthday boy as I can before I leave.

I think I’ll finish with one more Irish quote today….


Irish Saying
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass to keep from falling off the earth.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Damn, and I thought after finding my way here that I was ready to start "Rocket Science" classes. My dreams dashed again!

    ReplyDelete